Tips For Work Better Life
1. Even if it means just having an office in the garden, work from a space that you have to make an effort to travel to, just to make the distinction between work and family and the kitchen table and boardroom.
2. You need to build in uninterrupted thinking to your day, away from technology and the expectation of immediate response.Don't bring your smartphone to bed and try and impose an occasional tech moratorium. Our brains need respite to produce innovative ideas.
3. You can not control everything that happens in your life, so try and create processes, scheduling and timekeeping for those aspects you can control. Then release the aspects you can not control so they do not make you crazy.
4. When you plan your week, make it a point to schedule time with your family and friends and activities that help you recharge. If a date night with your spouse or a softball game with friends is on your calendar, you'll have something to look forward to and an extra incentive to manage your time well so you don't have to cancel.
5. Don't get overwhelmed by assuming that you need to make big changes to bring more balance to your life. Brooks recommends setting realistic goals, like trying to leave the office earlier one night per week.
6. Every business wanting to stay ahead needs reliable equipment to support their innovation.
7. Handle your call management package online. A quick update to your call scheduler to match your diary ensures your business is always connected and easily accessible to existing and potential customers even when you can not be.
8. If this is simply not possible and you find yourself with a long commute, quit the train chat and treat this period as strict work time, arriving at the office later or leaving earlier.
9. Do not be afraid to relinquish control now and again as it will pay dividends in preserving your sanity. If you can not delegate business decisions to anyone, use a virtual assistant to take care of some of your everyday admin.
10. If you are working from home, have set times when you stop to eat or drink with your family or go home for lunch if you can. This way you and they will know they can see you. Make sure you keep this time sacrosanct and try to switch your phone off.